- Chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces: 750g
Spices & Sauces
- Tikka Masala curry paste: 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil: 1 tablespoon
- Butter: 1 tablespoon
- Large brown onions, thinly sliced: 2
- Basmati rice: 1 cup
- Massel chicken style liquid stock: 1 1/2 cups (or chicken stock of your choice)
- Thick Greek-style yogurt: 1 cup
- Small pappadums, cooked, to serve: 8
MARINATE THE CHICKEN
Combine chicken and curry paste in a ceramic bowl. Cover. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight if time permits.
HOW TO COOK THE MEAT?
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat oil and butter in a frying pan over medium heat until sizzling.
- Add onions. Cook for 15 minutes or until caramelised. Transfer chicken to an 8-cup capacity ovenproof casserole dish. Spoon onions over chicken.
HOW TO COOK THE RICE?
- Place rice into a sieve. Rinse under cold water until water runs clear. Sprinkle rice evenly over onions.
- Place the stock into a microwave-safe jug. Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 2 minutes or until hot.
- Pour stock over the back of a metal spoon over rice. Cover with foil then covers with a lid.
- Bake for 1 hour 45 minutes or until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place yogurt into a bowl. Finely chop 2 tablespoons of mint leaves. Stir through yogurt.
- Spoon biryani into bowls. Top with yogurt mixture and remaining mint leaves.
- Serve with pappadums.