Try this amazing Vietnamese noodle, you will be surprised. Bun Rieu is a crab based noodle originating from the South of Vietnam.
- 3 tomatoes cut into wedges
- 3 eggs beaten
- 300 g pork minced
- 1 can minced crab in spices
- 1 tbsp fine shrimp sauce
- 1 tbsp tamarind
- 1 kg thin rice noodle 2.2 lbs
- 1 onion peeled and halved
- 1 bunch spring onion chopped (or cilantro)
- 500 g bean sprouts fish sauce to taste
- Firstly, crack the 3 eggs and beat well in a large bowl, add 1 can of minced crab in spices, and the minced pork and mix well. 1tsp salt should be added to balance the flavour.
- Secondly, fry minced garlic and onion with some cooking oil till fragrant in a soup pot.
- Thirdly, put the tomato wedges and 1tbsp fish sauce. Stir well, cover the lid and cook for 3 mins.
- Then, add 1½ liter boiling water, the onion, 1tsp salt, 1tbsp tamarind, and 1tbsp fine shrimp paste. If you cannot stand the shrimp paste, you can replace it by some more fish sauce.
- Lastly, scoop the crab meat mixture into the soup pot. The meat is cooked when they float to the surface.
To cook the noodles, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, and add 1tsp vinegar and the noodles. You should leave the noodle in boiling water for 3-5 minutes following package instructions. Later, quickly drain the noodles in a strainer and rinse again with cold water and then rinse one more time with hot water.
To assemble the dish, place a handful of noodles in a bowl, ladle the soup and meat over the noodles. Last but not least, top with some chopped spring onion and coloring oil if preferred.