- Pandan leaves, nicely bruised: 4
- Ginger, thickly sliced: 5 pieces
- Spring onions, finely chopped: add to your taste
- Cucumber: 1
- Coriander: enough for decoration
- Long red chilies, roughly chopped: 5
- Clove garlic, roughly chopped: 1
- Garlic, crushed: 1 clove
- Ginger, finely grated: 3 tablespoons
- Ginger, thinly sliced: 2 pieces
- Lime, juiced: 1
Spices & Sauces
- Salt: 3 teaspoons
- Caster sugar: 2 teaspoons
- Sesame oil: 2 teaspoons
- Vegetable oil: 80ml (1/3 cup)
- Whole chicken, rinsed, patted dry: approximately 1.2kg
- White rice: 400g (2 cups)
HOW TO COOK THE CHICKEN?
- To prepare the chicken, thoroughly rub the remaining salt all over the chicken, then stuff ginger and onions into the cavity.
- Bring 2 litres of (8 cups) water to the boil in a large saucepan, then add pandan leaves and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Slowly put the chicken with breast-side down into a saucepan to completely submerge. Close the lid, reduce heat to very low, and cook the chicken for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, turn off the stove and leave the chicken for another 1 hour. The chicken will continue to cook in the residual heat.
- Carefully remove chicken and reserve broth. Plunge chicken into a large bowl of iced water and leave for 5 minutes to cool. After that, drain well and pat dry with a paper towel, then lightly apply sesame oil onto the chicken. You should loosely cover and set aside the chicken for later use. Strain broth, discarding any solids.
- Before serving, you should remove ginger and onions from the chicken cavity and discard. Cut the chicken to the desired size.
Combine spring onions and ginger in a heatproof bowl. Place approximately 160 ml of oil in a small saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes maximum. Carefully pour hot oil over the spring onion mixture and stir to combine well. Set aside to cool.
Chili dipping sauce
The easiest option is to use a mortar and pestle.
HOW TO MAKE FRAGRANT RICE?
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add garlic, ginger, and rice. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until rice are glossy and ginger is fragrant. Add 750ml (3 cups) reserved broth, stir to combine, then bring to a simmer. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Then leave the rice for 10 minutes.
Peel cucumber, then halve it lengthwise, thinly slice, and place on a platter and serve with broth, fragrant rice, and both dipping sauces.